Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 23 of 23

Thread: Speaker placement (and elevation)

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Speaker placement (and elevation)

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Sennheiser headphones. I have had a pair of HD 420s for over 30years. Very pleased with them. Unfortunately the foam ear pads have disintegrated and Sennheiser do not have spares for this model.
    I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 424's back in high school and they've lasted me about 20 years--the foams finally gave out on mine too! Here is a good place to buy replacement foams for $7.95 a pair USD--and you could probably find them elsewhere or make your own cheaper.... Sennheiser | HD424-03 - Ear Cushions for Sennheiser | 019543 When I bought my first Sennheisers, I auditioned many different headphones trying to find a pair that were as "crisp"/clear/detailed sounding as the Altecs that I was familiar with at the time (the Model 9's I owned back then and the Valencias that my older brother owned--which are now my Valencias as his wife didn't want them in their home!) and the Sennheisers seemed to have a similar character and quality of sound (compared to the Altecs). I'm still using Sennheisers to this day and they are amazing sounding headphones although I know they now have a brand new line which I've never heard.....


    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post

    Note that unless specified, consumer speakers are never 'voiced' (response shaped) for proper corner loading.



    GM
    Nice post GM--I have all three pair "backed up against a wall" (as you described in your post) and they do sound great that way. I'm not sure if I understand this one section of your post. Do you mean that Model 19's, Valencias, and AS-101's were not designed to be placed in the corners of a room? BTW, I understand that there are rarely Black and White answers to any questions like these.....

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Speaker placement (and elevation)

    Thanks!

    Correct, they are tuned too high/flat for it, so from a high SQ POV, for corner loading they typically need to be tuned lower to keep from sounding overly 'boomy' and due to the typically strong room modes, they need to be tuned ~a half octave apart and/or in smaller rooms even one or both sealed up.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Speaker placement (and elevation)

    Those HD 424 ear cushions look like they could be adapted to the hd 420s. Thanks for the tip.

    Cheers, Marshall.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.